edit a post

Home Forums Site Issues edit a post

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of huck Huck 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Return to main forum

• Author
    Profile photo of huck
    Huck
    Participant

How do you edit a post? If posts can’t be edited, that’s a big negative for me, probably won’t be posting here much.

Ha ha, never mind, just found the edit button, thanks for including that option!

Profile photo of huck
    Huck
    Participant

OK, now the edit button is gone! I looked at my posts in the main forum and same thing, no edit button. That’s a real deal breaker for me.

Profile photo of mostoke
    MoStoke
    Keymaster

Hey Huck! Thanks for being a part of this and thanks for the feedback. We are just getting this started so there will no doubt be bugs, quirks, etc.. Please report anything you find.

As we state in our “about” page.. it’s the goal of mostoke.com to become whatever the surfing community shapes the site into. The way that happens is with your feedback and contribution. So please!! KEEP IT COMING!!.

ps. check your post in the “site issues” section of the forum. We’ve just responded.

Thanks bro!

Profile photo of huck
    Huck
    Participant

Edited to say – woohoo, this is cool, I can edit now! Even older posts! For people like me who don’t always express themselves clearly the first time, this is awesome!

————–

Thanks for the response!

Editing posts is a big deal to me, cuz its a feature I use frequently.

When involved in a specific thread or subject, I tend to post fairly frequently and with detailed content. I have found editing to be a must in order to have spontaneity in that scenario. I can go with the flow and when needed backtrack and make corrections and clarifications, as I go. I guess for infrequent posters and lurkers a no edit policy is less of an issue.

Some have tried, but you can’t really compare internet forum posting to a casual conversation. In a casual conversation your words are not preserved and published to the world.

Most writers understand the need for editing published content. Here is a quote from gordonbenzie.com:

——————–

Having written many business plans, press releases and other marketing collateral, one thing I have learned is the importance of an edit and review process. It doesn’t matter how good your writing skills are – no one can write anything great the first time.

It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking there isn’t time or that it isn’t necessary on this particular communication. Or, maybe you were told the document only had to be a rough draft. Regardless, it is always a good habit of either hiring a third party to review your work, or, simply save your work and come back to it in 24 hours to have a look with fresh eyes. I am always amazed when I look back at my work from the prior day and reflect “What was I thinking?”

When we speak in a conversation, we typically don’t put such effort on editing what we say, so it is easy to think that writing is the same. But, if you think about it, when we have something important to say, then we will rehearse and practice it … just look at the industry of speech writers that serve this need. We will edit and re-edit a speech many times before we are comfortable it gets the right message across. Writing is the same way.

Here are five benefits of following a good editing process or having a good editor:

Ensures your written message matches what you were trying to say
    Helps to condense and improve the efficiency of your writing
    Questions your flow of thoughts, ensuring there’s good logic
    Tells you if your content is too technical or if it doesn’t make sense, at least to the general public; it is very easy to “get into the weeds” about a topic you are very knowledgeable about
    Asks questions or presents an alternative perspective that you might not have considered; in the case of a blog, this feedback might be an excellent follow-up for a new post
    ——————

I currently belong to a surfboard design / construction forum which has indefinite edit feature for the writer of each post. There have been zero problems from this feature, everyone feels free to speak openly knowing they can make a correction at any time if they need to.

Profile photo of mostoke
    MoStoke
    Keymaster

Developers are working on this also!

Profile photo of huck
    Huck
    Participant

YES

I can edit now, thnx!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.