Future fins advice

Home Forums Main Forum Future fins advice

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DawnPatrol321 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Christmas is around the corner, and I have a NA Pete Dooley 6’6″ round nose round tail wide thick fun shape for clean surf. It works in knee to head high surf, as long as it is semi clean.

Has a 3 fin futures set up and the fins are plastic and too flexy and too small. Not fast enough down the line,and it doesn’t stick on a good bottom turn, but that may be more due to the board having lots of width.

I need a fin group with more drive and more lift. Any suggestions? Anyone tried the Beta Proto 2.0 yet? they are supposed to be hollow on the inside with lots of lift and a balanced 5.0 score for what’s that is worth. Thanks in advance to all you shredders out there in the know.

WTF?!?

Thanks for all the saged advice homies. Ya’ll ride only FCSs, or glass ins?

WTF?!?

BassMon
    Grom

Why not go with a larger size fin in a less flexy construction? You’ll get more drive out of a larger fin. Want less flex? Stiffer fin. Im assuming you’d want somthing with some rake.

What do you weigh?

BassMon
    Grom

Just did some looking on the futures site.

Large fin, thruster set, balanced feel. Plenty of options for you. All seem to have a flat foil however.

What your asking for is alittle tough. Im no fin guru but from what i understand a flexy fin will provide more drive, which is what your asking for. Which would also help with down the line speed as you pump/turn. Point being id ditch the “too flexy” idea. Wide base, some rake, you should be good with somthing fitting that criteria.

From my search i came up with R8 legacy series, AM2s in honeycomb, mayhem, or F8 alpha. Some other options i left out due to being more upright outline. All fins mentioned range from 4-7 in the ride number, so balanced. If your set on somthing with lift/foil then id bet you’d find somthing in a higher ride number.

Why not go with a larger size fin in a less flexy construction? You’ll get more drive out of a larger fin. Want less flex? Stiffer fin. Im assuming you’d want somthing with some rake. What do you weigh?

I agree, a larger size with less flex than the plastic ones would be the way to go, plastic fins, they make things a bit too slow. But they came with the boart when I bought it on the cheap. I’m 165 lbs, with a fairly low center of gravity being 5’9″ tall.

Thanks for your advice, appreciate any other points of view from experience.

Why not go with a larger size fin in a less flexy construction? You’ll get more drive out of a larger fin. Want less flex? Stiffer fin. Im assuming you’d want somthing with some rake. What do you weigh?

I agree, a larger size with less flex than the plastic ones would be the way to go, plastic fins, they make things a bit too slow. But they came with the boart when I bought it on the cheap. I’m 165 lbs, with a fairly low center of gravity being 5’9″ tall. Thanks for your advice, appreciate any other points of view from experience.

I have two different fin setups I am currently running in my board that has futures. I have the 5 fin Lost / Mayhem set and then I also have the JJF Alfa thruster set for my round tail 6’0” Coil M-80. I like them both a lot. The Lost / Mayhem is a larger fin for larger waves or when I’m packing a few extra lbs or want more down the line speed. The JJF fins are medium in size and go in just about anything, they are easier to break loose and throw the board around a little more.

0AE0A126-04EF-40CA-AF07-CB17818391F63DA5CB5B-07FE-4E56-9EDA-C5D67FC97CBD

Thanks DP! I’ve heard good things abooot the JJF Alphas, I may pick a set up. I’m only taking this boart out in waist to HH max. It’s too fat to duckdive bigguns.

Thanks DP! I’ve heard good things abooot the JJF Alphas, I may pick a set up. I’m only taking this boart out in waist to HH max. It’s too fat to duckdive bigguns.

Anytime dude. Can’t go wrong with the JJF Alphas, you’ll love em.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.