How’s Your Paddling?

Home Forums Main Forum How’s Your Paddling?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  whereswaldo 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

I stumbled across this video and thought it was a good reminder. How’s your paddling?

KDHJEB
    Grom

Well my paddling is garbage because I haven’t gotten to surf regularly in a few years. So physical conditioning seems to be more my issue than form ha.

Well my paddling is garbage because I haven’t gotten to surf regularly in a few years. So physical conditioning seems to be more my issue than form ha.

I hear ya, what seems to be keeping you from surfing regularly like you use to?

BarryCuda
    Grom

Viewed video (which I normally do NOT do), and found it to be the very reason I do not view videos of surfing- Nothing to be learned there. Sorry…just opinion. If you want to be a good/great paddler, get on your belly on a longboard (not on a SUP or better called twat yacht) and paddle long distances on flat days. Nothing is better than that.

lol o barry

BTW Barry, I agree with you that paddling a LB long distance is the best thing you can do for your paddling, it really helped / helps me too. I shared the video not because it will make people better paddlers, I just thought it was a good reminder to focus on longer stronger paddling and not short arming it. Just a reminder is all.

KDHJEB
    Grom

I hear ya, what seems to be keeping you from surfing regularly like you use to?

I lived on the outer banks for years, and then i could paddle with the best of them. Moved to the Raleigh area for 5 or 6 years and went from weekend warrior to once a month warrior, to a few times a year warrior haha. Moved back to the coast almost a year ago, but the timing was weird – not enough daylight to surf before or after work, busy moving/unpacking/holiday travel on the weekends. So that phase set the wrong tone. But lately I’ve made it out a few times, and slowly getting back into the groove – just in time for the daylight issue to be back haha

BarryCuda
    Grom

BTW Barry, I agree with you that paddling a LB long distance is the best thing you can do for your paddling, it really helped / helps me too. I shared the video not because it will make people better paddlers, I just thought it was a good reminder to focus on longer stronger paddling and not short arming it. Just a reminder is all.

Yeah, I know. However, I have written this year off as a surfing year–just had another outpatient procedure to remove a tumor in my bladder–outpatient but still a nuisance. Will get back into water next week perhaps.

BarryCuda
    Grom

I hear ya, what seems to be keeping you from surfing regularly like you use to? I lived on the outer banks for years, and then i could paddle with the best of them. Moved to the Raleigh area for 5 or 6 years and went from weekend warrior to once a month warrior, to a few times a year warrior haha. Moved back to the coast almost a year ago, but the timing was weird – not enough daylight to surf before or after work, busy moving/unpacking/holiday travel on the weekends. So that phase set the wrong tone. But lately I’ve made it out a few times, and slowly getting back into the groove – just in time for the daylight issue to be back haha

Daylight issue here up North really sucks. It is narrowing light band of hours as we speak. Even as a retiree, it still crimps my desire to get out into water. But, don’t give up!! Surf here is quite large today but blown out with 35-40 MPH wind gusts etc. Not fun.

I lived on the outer banks for years, and then i could paddle with the best of them. Moved to the Raleigh area for 5 or 6 years and went from weekend warrior to once a month warrior, to a few times a year warrior haha. Moved back to the coast almost a year ago, but the timing was weird – not enough daylight to surf before or after work, busy moving/unpacking/holiday travel on the weekends. So that phase set the wrong tone. But lately I’ve made it out a few times, and slowly getting back into the groove – just in time for the daylight issue to be back haha

Gotcha, I’m sure you’ll get your groove back again, I mean, Stella did right? 😉

Yeah, I know. However, I have written this year off as a surfing year–just had another outpatient procedure to remove a tumor in my bladder–outpatient but still a nuisance. Will get back into water next week perhaps.

Very sorry to hear that bud, keep fighting that shit, you got this! You’ll be back in the water soon, I know it.

• Last modifed 3 months, 1 week ago

This one helped me a ton – plus paddling around in lake Atlantic on a 10’ KG lol

Yankee
    Grom

Let me preface this post by saying that I laugh out loud every time I see Barry listed as a ‘Grom’ on MoStoke…. 🙂

Having said that, senor, wtf is going on? Body giving out, or are you going to be with us for awhile, this is important. To me, and to many of us, ya ol’ grom.

You don’t need to post deets. Just know that over the years you have developed a lot of support from afar from kooks & tough guy surfers who you’ve never met, so I do hope that things shape up for you.

You grommet.

BarryCuda
    Grom

Let me preface this post by saying that I laugh out loud every time I see Barry listed as a ‘Grom’ on MoStoke…. 🙂 Having said that, senor, wtf is going on? Body giving out, or are you going to be with us for awhile, this is important. To me, and to many of us, ya ol’ grom. You don’t need to post deets. Just know that over the years you have developed a lot of support from afar from kooks & tough guy surfers who you’ve never met, so I do hope that things shape up for you. You grommet.

Well, the gist is this-had a kidney removed as it had a tumor wreaking havoc inside it. That was July. At 3month cystoscopy checkup, another smaller one found in my bladder, removed in outpatient basis using cystoscope–the surgeon also installed mitomycin which is an antibiotic/chemotherapy that is designed to prevent recurrences. Now, just the fact that he was able to install the chemo is a positive sign, because if tumor too deep in bladder then it gets forfeited. Bottom line–I may have to have an outpatient small tumor removal periodically (every 6 months?)–that isn’t too bad–the alternative is death. We are now trying to get ahead of it to prevent recurrences–that is where we are now. BTW, originally the growths were determined to be “low grade, non-invasive” within the kidney–hopefully this last one out of the bladder is the same–pathology will tell us next week. Fingers crossed.

I will surf again, just have to get by a few hurdles. In all of this, my wife has been awesome, supporting me both mentally and physically, and all of that with a french accent–makes it pleasant!

And thanks for asking. And my paddling remains excellent <grin>

• Last modifed 3 months, 1 week ago

Well, the gist is this-had a kidney removed as it had a tumor wreaking havoc inside it. That was July. At 3month cystoscopy checkup, another smaller one found in my bladder, removed in outpatient basis using cystoscope–the surgeon also installed mitomycin which is an antibiotic/chemotherapy that is designed to prevent recurrences. Now, just the fact that he was able to install the chemo is a positive sign, because if tumor too deep in bladder then it gets forfeited. Bottom line–I may have to have an outpatient small tumor removal periodically (every 6 months?)–that isn’t too bad–the alternative is death. We are now trying to get ahead of it to prevent recurrences–that is where we are now. BTW, originally the growths were determined to be “low grade, non-invasive” within the kidney–hopefully this last one out of the bladder is the same–pathology will tell us next week. Fingers crossed. I will surf again, just have to get by a few hurdles. In all of this, my wife has been awesome, supporting me both mentally and physically, and all of that with a french accent–makes it pleasant! And thanks for asking. And my paddling remains excellent <grin>

Yankee is right, we may have never “met” you but you are considered a friend by me and many others. Stay positive, sounds like you are, but you know as well as I do having a positive attitude and being surrounded by others who have a positive attitude helps… especially with your paddling 🙂

kidrock
    Grom

I’d have given up years ago lol.

Keep fighting, Stud. This place would be at a big loss without you.

O’ Barry, so sorry to have read another procedure after the operation few months ago. You know, I know when they run another test/procedure you’re scared sh*tless! What’s next, haven’t I been through enough already, why me? After all I went through finally shared it on SI, it helped me and hoped it helped others too. You have the courage to share with your MoStoke friends, you have touched our lives and we will return the favor as you are NOT alone in this battle.

Chavez
    Grom

Let me preface this post by saying that I laugh out loud every time I see Barry listed as a ‘Grom’ on MoStoke…. 🙂 Having said that, senor, wtf is going on? Body giving out, or are you going to be with us for awhile, this is important. To me, and to many of us, ya ol’ grom. You don’t need to post deets. Just know that over the years you have developed a lot of support from afar from kooks & tough guy surfers who you’ve never met, so I do hope that things shape up for you. You grommet.

Well, the gist is this-had a kidney removed as it had a tumor wreaking havoc inside it. That was July. At 3month cystoscopy checkup, another smaller one found in my bladder, removed in outpatient basis using cystoscope–the surgeon also installed mitomycin which is an antibiotic/chemotherapy that is designed to prevent recurrences. Now, just the fact that he was able to install the chemo is a positive sign, because if tumor too deep in bladder then it gets forfeited. Bottom line–I may have to have an outpatient small tumor removal periodically (every 6 months?)–that isn’t too bad–the alternative is death. We are now trying to get ahead of it to prevent recurrences–that is where we are now. BTW, originally the growths were determined to be “low grade, non-invasive” within the kidney–hopefully this last one out of the bladder is the same–pathology will tell us next week. Fingers crossed. I will surf again, just have to get by a few hurdles. In all of this, my wife has been awesome, supporting me both mentally and physically, and all of that with a french accent–makes it pleasant! And thanks for asking. And my paddling remains excellent <grin>

Keep fighting you dirty ole bastid!

BarryCuda
    Grom

Yeah, thanks guys. Been a worrisome year health wise (GF has that right!!), tests are now a scary thing, pathology results are terrifying…… But anyways, as Mrs Cuda points out, we will play the cards we are dealt and we will play to win.

You guys should see the surf here today–15 foot faces easily way way out far from the beach. High winds , water coming up to the Wall from all directions at the same time, backwash is 6 ft high when it collides with incoming foam walls spraying really high. Been a long time since I have seen this size here in Moo Hampshire shores….

Have a great weekend and rip a wave for me……I will get back out there, just no yet…not yet.

All the best Barry

As for the paddling, I too take the LB out during the flatness to keep the arms in shape. Also, I have started to J.O. with both hands, alternating each day. That way I won’t paddle in circles when the waves come back

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.