Life advice

Home Forums Main Forum Life advice

This topic contains 47 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  whereswaldo 2 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Bass, Open up a washy-washy instead. Get the local dominant MC (Hell’s Angels, Pagans, etc.) to front you the cash. In exchange give them freebies with the girls. They are also there for security. It’s a win-win I tells ya.

Sorry to derail, YouTube must be paying attention to this thread, it suggested this video of a Hells Angel giving Hunter S. Thompson shit for how he handled his business with them.

ZenSurf69
    Grom

Bass, Open up a washy-washy instead. Get the local dominant MC (Hell’s Angels, Pagans, etc.) to front you the cash. In exchange give them freebies with the girls. They are also there for security. It’s a win-win I tells ya.

Sorry to derail, YouTube must be paying attention to this thread, it suggested this video of a Hells Angel giving Hunter S. Thompson shit for how he handled his business with them.

so epic reading that book right now

Yah, Mitchell, unreal how that area in particular has changed. G-Man likely has plenty of story, too. Nobody believes me when I tell them 14th Street was XXX sex shops, hookers, dangerous, a mini Times Square back when Times Square was a pulsating shithole 24/7. 14th Street was where the Marines from Quantico would go on liberty & tear it up. Even Georgetown down by the Bayou trash bar near the river was a heroin shooting gallery. Women got abducted every wknd from the parking lots of the nightclubs in SE near where Nats park is now. The old signs on the street poles near 14th & K, L, that say ‘no right turn after 9pm’……still there if you look for them. Today’s hipsters don’t know what they mean. Designed to prevent all the suburban dudes from trolling from their cars for streetwalkers, on the endless right turn right turn right turn loops 🙂 Anyways, apologies for digressing.

I remember watching the smoke rise over D.C. April 1968 riots so you had to be real careful where you traveled downtown so you didn’t venture too far east of Wisconsin Ave and Georgetown @ M St NW. The 14th street corridor stayed burned out until the late 80’s and 90’s when they sold those “brownstones” for $1.00 then investors flooded in and now those row homes are 1 mil plus. Yank any stories from the clubs on Vermont Ave N.W. ?

Yankee
    Grom

None that I’d tell here, G-Man 🙂

smitty
    Grom

Be careful. Profit from Restaurant business often get wasted on booger sugar.

BassMon
    Grom

Hey Bass, I’ll reply to your questions here. If you want to PM me that’s probably better. I just want to see you win – – at this stage of my life, it’s satisfying to see my employees, friends, associates, anyone I can share insights with, be winners. Grew up poor. And knew it, ’cause it was in a middle-to-upper class zip code. Hated being poor. I don’t want to be poor. I never had the advantages. I always had huge capacity for hard work in me, though, and there is a place in this world for hard workers to succeed. Basically, I can’t stand losing, hate it. Always wanted to control my own financial fate. When you don’t have money, other humans control you. John Thompson, the Hoya coach from back in the day, said, “I teach my guys that the only color that matters in America is green.” JT nailed it. That guy Kevin O’Leary has decent interviews & such on You Tube. What he says is accurate. Mike Rowe, another solid, insightful set of vids on You Tube. When you own your own business, in the beginning it’s a slog. You must work your arse off. You live it, breathe it, sleep it. No kidding, it is your existence. Your sig other better be on board with that, and not just with words – – living it. You learn from your mistakes, and you’re going to make some notable errors. So, I graduated with a History degree (useless), never had a plan. Still don’t. All around me @ college, everyone seemed to know what they wanted in life. I had no dream job in mind. Stumbled into a night currency trading desk job, then went soaring up the corp ladder on Wall St. Did really well. I was ‘the next big thing.’ Made a ton of money – – spent every dime of it. After 5 yrs, the stress turned me into burnt toast. Quit. Walked away. Had no plan. Brother in DC, working part-time as locksmith whilst in college. Said come on down here, buy this guy’s biz, he wants to retire. Tossed everything in my car, 77 Ford Pinto :), drove to DC. Worked for the old-timer @ 14th & RI Ave, back when it was hookers & homeys in the hood. Now it’s palefaces pushing $1k baby strollers. Still can’t believe how the city changed so fast. Turned out the old feller had no books, and was a POS to boot. Skimming paychecks, racist, a real dick. I always had hard work in me, and there is a place in this world for hard workers to succeed. Bailed out. Put ad in Yellow Pages. Ran jobs 24/7/365/ Built customer base. Tons of referrals. People liked my work, they knew I was honest & they liked me. After awhile, the workload was overwhelming. Hired guys to work for me. Lotta alcoholics, druggies, morons. Learned from those HR mistakes. I put everything back into the biz. Always bought more service vans, more tools, more stuff to sell. I liked to work, I like money, I don’t want to be poor. Here’s what you have to do, at some point, it’s very important. You have to make the break from working in your business to working on your business. You will have to drop the wrenches. Because you cannot do both. Or, I should say you cannot do both well. You will not get to the point of financial freedom if you continue to wrench. As well, your body isn’t going to take the punishment at a certain point. That’s just a fact of life, unfortunately. You’ll make money. Don’t be ‘that guy’ with the new truck, new boat, whatever, with your initial success money from your hard work. Stay humble & low to the ground, save that money & plow it back into the biz to make more money. The economy will dip at some point, at several points in the years ahead. You don’t want to be making payments on toys when it does. Debt – – use it only to make more money. I.e., take on new service vans because those are revenue platforms. Hire good-to-great managers. Hire good schedulers. Watch your overhead like a hawk. Terminate bad employees immediately even if they are generating a lot of revenue for you & even if good Techs are hard to come by. You make the tough decisions. You keep the employees happy-happy. Eventually, if you can avoid the major windows of disaster, it starts to spit money. To your query regarding customers – – there’s only 8-12 hours of ‘you’ being able to work every day. Schedule them. If you’re good, they will wait for you. Because there are so many shyster outfits. The scheduling is also important in the sense that it will dictate to you what you need to grow the company. One truck? Three trucks? Outside Sales person? New dispatching software? And so on. At your age, you still have the energy & drive & initiative to do this. Trust me, that all fades over time. If you play this correctly, you will be retired @ 50 if you want to be. And still have 20 yrs of good surfing ahead of you at that point. No stress, unless your wife divorced you somewhere along the way. Almost all of my friends can’t retire. And some of them are lawyers, doctors, made huge money. College educations, big houses, Range Rovers, pricey vacations, buying tons of stuff, consumer debt (credit cards), put them in the hole. They’re going to be working until they croak. My opinion is that it’s better to work hard, work often, while you can (younger years) than to be working because you have to (older years). BTW, one of my favorite Jack Nicklaus quotes, to paraphrase, when The Golden Bear was asked if Tiger Woods could break Jack’s records: Jack replied, he can do it as long as he avoids two things, injuries & a bad marriage. Jack wasn’t joking. How prophetic, eh? I realize that I rambled a bit here. Hope any of it is some help. As I said, happy to assist, feel free to ask anything. Just like to see hard working people turn out winners.

I appreciate that yank. I’ll definitely be bouncing dinne ideas/ questions of you in the future.

The whole restaurant idea was a thought. Like you, I’m a worker. I like working. But i can’t honestly say HVAC/R is a passion. Restaurant seemed more “fun”. But you brought me back down to earth yank, and i thank you for that. My intial plan was hvac, im good at what i do, iv been standing at the edge of the cliff wondering if i should jump or not for a few years. Spent the past few days crunching numbers, figuring out how to go about this, all the good stuff.

As far as wanting more time to surf, i do. But like i said, I’m a worker. If i can snag just an hour in the morning im good.

Going to grab a used work van, stock it with common parts (already do that just on my bosses dime). Around here all i need is liability insurance and i believe get bonded. Got to do some research there. Put some money away to live off of at first. Once that’s squared away I’ll be good to go. Think it’ll be smart to open shop in the summer aka busy season. Already have pricing figured out (i think) as iv been giving this thought for years. First few years I’ll pay myself basically what i get paid now. Enough to pay the bills and put food on the table. Everything else will go to the company to grow.

No question. Im doing it. Got to figure some business related stuff out. Accountant/CPA? I know it won’t be easy. I’ll be working hard. But iv been working hard my whole life, I’m honest with customers despite bosses wanting me to squeeze every penny out, and i do clean work. Im excited.

Thanks again yank. This is the smarter route for sure. I know what I’m doing (as far as the work goes, running a business I’ll have to figure out). I did some rough math, rounded up money out and severely rounded down money in….. to keep things realistic and fair. I can do this. I will do this. Time to start making moves.

ZenSurf69
    Grom

Hey Bass, I’ll reply to your questions here. If you want to PM me that’s probably better. I just want to see you win – – at this stage of my life, it’s satisfying to see my employees, friends, associates, anyone I can share insights with, be winners. Grew up poor. And knew it, ’cause it was in a middle-to-upper class zip code. Hated being poor. I don’t want to be poor. I never had the advantages. I always had huge capacity for hard work in me, though, and there is a place in this world for hard workers to succeed. Basically, I can’t stand losing, hate it. Always wanted to control my own financial fate. When you don’t have money, other humans control you. John Thompson, the Hoya coach from back in the day, said, “I teach my guys that the only color that matters in America is green.” JT nailed it. That guy Kevin O’Leary has decent interviews & such on You Tube. What he says is accurate. Mike Rowe, another solid, insightful set of vids on You Tube. When you own your own business, in the beginning it’s a slog. You must work your arse off. You live it, breathe it, sleep it. No kidding, it is your existence. Your sig other better be on board with that, and not just with words – – living it. You learn from your mistakes, and you’re going to make some notable errors. So, I graduated with a History degree (useless), never had a plan. Still don’t. All around me @ college, everyone seemed to know what they wanted in life. I had no dream job in mind. Stumbled into a night currency trading desk job, then went soaring up the corp ladder on Wall St. Did really well. I was ‘the next big thing.’ Made a ton of money – – spent every dime of it. After 5 yrs, the stress turned me into burnt toast. Quit. Walked away. Had no plan. Brother in DC, working part-time as locksmith whilst in college. Said come on down here, buy this guy’s biz, he wants to retire. Tossed everything in my car, 77 Ford Pinto :), drove to DC. Worked for the old-timer @ 14th & RI Ave, back when it was hookers & homeys in the hood. Now it’s palefaces pushing $1k baby strollers. Still can’t believe how the city changed so fast. Turned out the old feller had no books, and was a POS to boot. Skimming paychecks, racist, a real dick. I always had hard work in me, and there is a place in this world for hard workers to succeed. Bailed out. Put ad in Yellow Pages. Ran jobs 24/7/365/ Built customer base. Tons of referrals. People liked my work, they knew I was honest & they liked me. After awhile, the workload was overwhelming. Hired guys to work for me. Lotta alcoholics, druggies, morons. Learned from those HR mistakes. I put everything back into the biz. Always bought more service vans, more tools, more stuff to sell. I liked to work, I like money, I don’t want to be poor. Here’s what you have to do, at some point, it’s very important. You have to make the break from working in your business to working on your business. You will have to drop the wrenches. Because you cannot do both. Or, I should say you cannot do both well. You will not get to the point of financial freedom if you continue to wrench. As well, your body isn’t going to take the punishment at a certain point. That’s just a fact of life, unfortunately. You’ll make money. Don’t be ‘that guy’ with the new truck, new boat, whatever, with your initial success money from your hard work. Stay humble & low to the ground, save that money & plow it back into the biz to make more money. The economy will dip at some point, at several points in the years ahead. You don’t want to be making payments on toys when it does. Debt – – use it only to make more money. I.e., take on new service vans because those are revenue platforms. Hire good-to-great managers. Hire good schedulers. Watch your overhead like a hawk. Terminate bad employees immediately even if they are generating a lot of revenue for you & even if good Techs are hard to come by. You make the tough decisions. You keep the employees happy-happy. Eventually, if you can avoid the major windows of disaster, it starts to spit money. To your query regarding customers – – there’s only 8-12 hours of ‘you’ being able to work every day. Schedule them. If you’re good, they will wait for you. Because there are so many shyster outfits. The scheduling is also important in the sense that it will dictate to you what you need to grow the company. One truck? Three trucks? Outside Sales person? New dispatching software? And so on. At your age, you still have the energy & drive & initiative to do this. Trust me, that all fades over time. If you play this correctly, you will be retired @ 50 if you want to be. And still have 20 yrs of good surfing ahead of you at that point. No stress, unless your wife divorced you somewhere along the way. Almost all of my friends can’t retire. And some of them are lawyers, doctors, made huge money. College educations, big houses, Range Rovers, pricey vacations, buying tons of stuff, consumer debt (credit cards), put them in the hole. They’re going to be working until they croak. My opinion is that it’s better to work hard, work often, while you can (younger years) than to be working because you have to (older years). BTW, one of my favorite Jack Nicklaus quotes, to paraphrase, when The Golden Bear was asked if Tiger Woods could break Jack’s records: Jack replied, he can do it as long as he avoids two things, injuries & a bad marriage. Jack wasn’t joking. How prophetic, eh? I realize that I rambled a bit here. Hope any of it is some help. As I said, happy to assist, feel free to ask anything. Just like to see hard working people turn out winners.

I appreciate that yank. I’ll definitely be bouncing dinne ideas/ questions of you in the future. The whole restaurant idea was a thought. Like you, I’m a worker. I like working. But i can’t honestly say HVAC/R is a passion. Restaurant seemed more “fun”. But you brought me back down to earth yank, and i thank you for that. My intial plan was hvac, im good at what i do, iv been standing at the edge of the cliff wondering if i should jump or not for a few years. Spent the past few days crunching numbers, figuring out how to go about this, all the good stuff. As far as wanting more time to surf, i do. But like i said, I’m a worker. If i can snag just an hour in the morning im good. Going to grab a used work van, stock it with common parts (already do that just on my bosses dime). Around here all i need is liability insurance and i believe get bonded. Got to do some research there. Put some money away to live off of at first. Once that’s squared away I’ll be good to go. Think it’ll be smart to open shop in the summer aka busy season. Already have pricing figured out (i think) as iv been giving this thought for years. First few years I’ll pay myself basically what i get paid now. Enough to pay the bills and put food on the table. Everything else will go to the company to grow. No question. Im doing it. Got to figure some business related stuff out. Accountant/CPA? I know it won’t be easy. I’ll be working hard. But iv been working hard my whole life, I’m honest with customers despite bosses wanting me to squeeze every penny out, and i do clean work. Im excited. Thanks again yank. This is the smarter route for sure. I know what I’m doing (as far as the work goes, running a business I’ll have to figure out). I did some rough math, rounded up money out and severely rounded down money in….. to keep things realistic and fair. I can do this. I will do this. Time to start making moves.

if u really like being a “worker” as you say go fight fire out west. You can clear more than 30k in 6 months if your lucky. 120 hour work weeks tho and u might die.

also its kinda gay

oil fields pay good too for being a worker. as does crab fishing, tuna fishing etc. I got some captains i can hook u up with both in the fire and fishing worlds. let me know.

BarryCuda
    Grom

“also its kinda gay”???? hahahahahahahahaaa!! Now THAT cracked me up!!

In the middle of a very serious career discussion, you insert THAT!! funny……

ZenSurf69
    Grom

“also its kinda gay”???? hahahahahahahahaaa!! Now THAT cracked me up!! In the middle of a very serious career discussion, you insert THAT!! funny……

it is fire is totally gay. buncha alpha macho paramilitary shenanigans. I mean it’s like being a boyscout at a summer camp where you might die, and dudes treat it like their super heros. Fucking gay as hell. i mean who the fuck thinks smokey the bear is cool anyways?

plus u only get like 10 bux an hour after taxes (factoring in overtime and hazard pay averaged out 1 $8,000 check i usually see like $4900, check has 150 hours of overtime on it do the math).

But seriously go for it, bassman it sounds like you know how to work a dirty job and minus all the gayness, fire has been an awesome experience for me, that has crafted my leadership skills and helped turn me into a semblance of a man (albeit not much of one) . Also allowed me to travel and surf around the world while putting away for my retirement, and justifying my substance abuse problems. All fine things.

It has also burned me out, but at least i can pretend to be old and washed up now,

and im not JUST a loudmouthed entitled college kid, as much, anymore, kinda.

but i stand by my statment, its gay as hell.

Fire itself (not the fire industrial complex, but the actual element) is cool as shit tho. Scope the demon faces in the photo below. Thats from when we ripped off a few thousand acres in a wilderness zone a few years back.

20170916_204437(1)

• Last modifed 4 days, 16 hours ago

Yankee
    Grom

Reading what you write, Bassmon, as well as the tone in which you ink it, you would get my vote as being a person who can do it.

I’m happy to assist, just ping me.

And, yes, oh heck yes, you need a great CPA. (pay your taxes, btw, the govt gets their piece that’s just life – – you get a chunk of that tax hit back, though, with a raft of financial advantages as a biz owner that the person on salary never receives; no I won’t put that in writing but once you’re established happy to share that info).

ZenSurf69
    Grom

Reading what you write, Bassmon, as well as the tone in which you ink it, you would get my vote as being a person who can do it. I’m happy to assist, just ping me. And, yes, oh heck yes, you need a great CPA. (pay your taxes, btw, the govt gets their piece that’s just life – – you get a chunk of that tax hit back, though, with a raft of financial advantages as a biz owner that the person on salary never receives; no I won’t put that in writing but once you’re established happy to share that info).

ah the joy of business ownership or contracting, literally everything is a write off to taxes as an expense.

and people talk crap about gov. employees wasting time and money.

Or even worse, about young unemployed/retired people who don’t like working, and just like to sit around, surf, and smoke pot all day. Whilst all those old baby boomers leech the system and ruin our economy for their beloved social security and medicare.

ah, cruel world

😛 😀

• Last modifed 4 days, 16 hours ago

BassMon
    Grom

Trev I’m bout going to lie, i looked into becoming a union fire fighter here. NYFD. For some reason i was looking into things other than hvac. Don’t know why because i do enjoy hvac. Anyway, apparently you can’t sign up if your over 30. I turned 30 in October.

And thanks again yank. Going to keep looking into things and get all my questions in order. It’s appreciated beyond appreciation.

ZenSurf69
    Grom

Trev I’m bout going to lie, i looked into becoming a union fire fighter here. NYFD. For some reason i was looking into things other than hvac. Don’t know why because i do enjoy hvac. Anyway, apparently you can’t sign up if your over 30. I turned 30 in October. And thanks again yank. Going to keep looking into things and get all my questions in order. It’s appreciated beyond appreciation.

wildland the cutoff for new recruits is 35. And our union is garbage so don’t expect none of those benefits or rights or w.e.

just work and cash and character development.

watch out tho, been coughing up blood for a bit. Prob same deal as HVAC

Yankee
    Grom

You glaringly reveal that you don’t know how the system works. And that’s ok. Darwin’s waiting room, never empty.

As well, you seem to believe from your comments that because I’m not like you then you despise me. Let the hate flow through you, fella. And, oh by the way, nothing wrong with being a Boomer! 🙂 We’re the ones who went through a lot to ensure that entitled kids like you could have it all. Jeez, you really sound like a diva, Trevor 🙂 🙂

This place has been going along pretty well, reason being there’s no arrogant passive aggressive asshats here that were over at SI.

I see that’s changed. Your combo platter of anger, resentment & jealousy is toxic.

Here, we help each other out. We keep it positive. Your Freudian resentments & your ignorant pounding of the keyboard reveal your true character. It’s not anyone else’s fault that daddy didn’t give you hugs.

Lots of guys welcomed you here to mostoke. I didn’t say a word, because I was waiting for the real Trevor to assert himself. And, well…there you go again! Speaking of RR, the fires are nearing his presidential library. Shouldn’t you be, uh, actually doing what you get paid to do?

Buena suerte, diva

• Last modifed 4 days, 8 hours ago

ZenSurf69
    Grom

You glaringly reveal that you don’t know how the system works. And that’s ok. Darwin’s waiting room, never empty. As well, you seem to believe from your comments that because I’m not like you then you despise me. Let the hate flow through you, fella. And, oh by the way, nothing wrong with being a Boomer! 🙂 We’re the ones who went through a lot to ensure that entitled kids like you could have it all. Jeez, you really sound like a diva, Trevor 🙂 🙂 This place has been going along pretty well, reason being there’s no arrogant passive aggressive asshats here that were over at SI. I see that’s changed. Your combo platter of anger, resentment & jealousy is toxic. Here, we help each other out. We keep it positive. Your Freudian resentments & your ignorant pounding of the keyboard reveal your true character. It’s not anyone else’s fault that daddy didn’t give you hugs. Lots of guys welcomed you here to mostoke. I didn’t say a word, because I was waiting for the real Trevor to assert himself. And, well…there you go again! Speaking of RR, the fires are nearing his presidential library. Shouldn’t you be, uh, actually doing what you get paid to do? Buena suerte, diva

ahhh good old yank can’t take a joke! and i told ya bro im retired now. I ain’t working those fires no more.

why not pick up a tool old man?

For the record i would love to work as a contractor, but depends on what kind. Fire contracting might be an option next year, better than the feds I reckon.

wow it’s easy to git under your skin. Gotta keep things interesting with the humor. It’s all groovy bro hopefully i’ll see you deep in a tube one day, but with a hair-trigger anger switch like that it might be hard for you to make the airdrop unless you find your inner calm. Happy place my friend.

good to see the old yank back!

aloha homie

• Last modifed 4 days, 8 hours ago

Mr.Belmar
    Grom

Dudeski bassmon

its me MrBelmar

long time no see

nut remember I have a PHD in these things

all I can say is that my 2 buddies who have business in the trades (electrical and construction) get much more water time then me and have off on the weekends except for an emergency or whatever

bassmon the hvac dude

Yankee
    Grom

Nah. You don’t get a pass from me on your passive aggro shtick, Sparky.

Hope you don’t mind me addressing you as Sparky! Not an insult at all! Given what you claim to do for a living, it’s apropos of your existence, eh mon diva 🙂 🙂

Try actually reading, er, comprehending the treade, what I wrote about hefting a toolbox for many years. Wish I could help you, T-buck, but I just can’t make it remedial reading for the generation that got handed everything by mummsy & da-da; apologies, diva!

You meant everything you said. The ol’ Trevor, paycheck to paycheck, burnin’ up his pto on surf treks & angry at people who work for a living, yeah, you’re back.

You’re the flag bearer for gen-resentment. I.e., haven’t figured out how to make it, don’t have the societal skills to fake it, so tear down tear down tear down. If that doesn’t get traction then your second tactic is deflection.

Give you a few points for trying, Trevor, but really, your bitter man hateful out-of-nowhere attack upon me for assisting Bass in his endeavors is 100% on you, diva.

Boomers, bebe, we create jobs, pay taxes, kick buttockals & rock on (you know you love our music, kid) 🙂

• Last modifed 4 days, 5 hours ago

ZenSurf69
    Grom

Nah. You don’t get a pass from me on your passive aggro shtick, Sparky. Hope you don’t mind me addressing you as Sparky! Not an insult at all! Given what you claim to do for a living, it’s apropos of your existence, eh mon diva 🙂 🙂 Try actually reading, er, comprehending the treade, what I wrote about hefting a toolbox for many years. Wish I could help you, T-buck, but I just can’t make it remedial reading for the generation that got handed everything by mummsy & da-da; apologies, diva! You meant everything you said. The ol’ Trevor, paycheck to paycheck, burnin’ up his pto on surf treks & angry at people who work for a living, yeah, you’re back. You’re the flag bearer for gen-resentment. I.e., haven’t figured out how to make it, don’t have the societal skills to fake it, so tear down tear down tear down. If that doesn’t get traction then your second tactic is deflection. Give you a few points for trying, Trevor, but really, your bitter man hateful out-of-nowhere attack upon me for assisting Bass in his endeavors is 100% on you, diva. Boomers, bebe, we create jobs, pay taxes, kick buttockals & rock on (you know you love our music, kid) 🙂

right on dude glad you found your happy place! Hope your getting to surf every day too man. Go towards whats important. Maybe some weed might mellow ya out a bit too.

either way, like i said aloha bruddah.

you can keep your passes mr toolbox

Morning/afternoon gents. Gone for a spell, back for a few, soon to be gone again

Bass, there seemed to be some pretty solid advise here. Honestly I only skimmed most. Yank has some pretty truthful and real words. Allow me to expand a bit

I have made a career of the food business and as a Chef, 24 yrs. Started in small restaurants, decided to go to school for, was a total waste except I met the Certified Master Chef (only 63 in the country), did a 4 yr apprenticeship, moved on to work for 9 others. I’ve ascended 4, and 5 star and diamond hotels. I’ve done stints in Southern Ireland (the absolute best seafood), all over South Africa, South Korea, Lima Peru, Martha’s Vineyard, and quite a few more throughout the country.

I’ve been blessed and fortunate to have had great success. All through extremely hard work, a very supportive wife, dedication to it and little else, and sacrificing most everything. I don’t complain. I make a good 6 figures running a large property. I can afford to take my fam to NZ in 3 days on a two and a half week trip. I am currently sitting in New Orleans about to do a food event that I am double paid for. I’m in a position now where I can organize tons of charity events for causes in our community I believe in. For every negative, there are some real positives depending on perspective.

The cost has been my family. During all of that early travel and sacrifice, the family was the price tag. Without my wife and her support, it wouldn’t have worked. She also knew our long term goal

Flash to today. I have had so many offers for backers to open places all over. Every Chef, and/or motivated person, has this same desire to do your own thing. As someone who has lived it, I will probably never open my own restaurant. Not because I do not want to or I think it will fail. I’m not a pussy and would see it is successful. I know how I work for other people’s money, so it would be even more if it were my money. And this industry, more so then many others, absolutely requires total dedication. No changing hours of operation, days of business. That would tank any place, no matter how good it is. No 2 week vacation, maybe after a few years but you better be ready to come back to a looted place. No skirting out early to catch one of the kids games/school event.

The benefits are the freedom to do food that makes you happy. I’ve followed one rule, I make food that I enjoy, which is a wide range, and I gear it to the clientele. If you’re happy with it, most likely they will love it. Unless you suck at cooking of course.

My days in my current job are very limited, my wife and I have been planning for a while. I was actually going to start a thread like this after winter. I am looking towards the private/personal Chef side though. I have a good footing with upper tier locals, and the vacation renters provide 8 months of steady business.

I’m not trying to talk you out of your plan, you seem like someone that would relentlessly persue success. I don’t know your home life. If your wife is ready to tackle it with you, I know that is what would make me successful if I went that route.

I don’t know if this here interweb site has PMs, but I’d be more then happy to answer any questions. No strings attached, just whatever advice or answers that could help you along the way.

All the best of luck Bass. It is a hard business, but it is also a lot of fun and can be very rewarding

I don’t know if this here interweb site has PMs,

Yes, there is, with your mouse hover over your screen name on the menu / toolbar and then when the drop down menu pops up click on “Messages”. Then on the next screen click on “Compose”. See below…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.