Mo Waves?

Home Forums Site Creation Discussion Mo Waves?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DawnPatrol321 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I wanted to start this topic because I feel that many newcomers to this site are looking for other means of finding surf forecasts.

It seems that since this is a community driven site, it makes since that the community should take part in sharing resources for finding waves, and this seems like a good home for a thread that both users and admins can use to share and discover resources for doing so, and maybe we can build on the “Mosurf” tab

So id like to start with a couple.

For those in the Carolinas, a new site has very recently became useable called “Pinpointsurf.” http://www.pinpointsurf.com
    This site launched very recently, and they only have nearshore wave model data available for North Carolina and part of South Carolina. However, I think this is a great start and whoever is running this seems to have prospects of expanding their forecast area if they get some support. Also, whatever algorithms they are using for nearshore wave predictions seems to be pretty good. But again, this site is in its infancy.

Another good site to consider is “Tropical Tidbits.” https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/
    If you know how to read the data, this site gives you access to GFS data that is heavily used by other surf forecasting sites for waves predictions. furthermore, the guy who runs the site gives detailed updates on tropical systems effecting the greater United States and is a valuable recourse for sifting through the “hype” that the weather channel creates.

I’m posting this with the hopes that others who use this site have wave prediction resources that they would like to share.

I checked out Tropical Tidbits for a quick minute, at first glance it just looks like they copied and pasted NOAA on there. What do they offer that NOAA doesn’t ?

MoStoke
    Keymaster

I wanted to start this topic because I feel that many newcomers to this site are looking for other means of finding surf forecasts.

It seems that since this is a community driven site, it makes since that the community should take part in sharing resources for finding waves, and this seems like a good home for a thread that both users and admins can use to share and discover resources for doing so, and maybe we can build on the “Mosurf” tab

Thanks for this.

Yes, we’re in the process of sorting through all of the data aggregators available. ALL input is welcomed here.

You’re right DP, thats essentially what he does, but..

I find that the interface is pretty user friendly. Also, when there are active tropical systems the guy who runs the site creates really informative blog posts explaining what the storm is doing, whats effecting it and who It could effect.

If anything, its something to add to the list of good resources for finding information about storms, at least in the Atlantic.

Right on, I wasn’t downing it, just wasn’t sure if there was something different between the two sites that I wasn’t seeing at first glance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!