Panhandle of FL: Should I bring a board?

Home Forums Travel Panhandle of FL: Should I bring a board?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  PanHandler 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Heading to Laguna Beach, FL this weekend (7/27) for a week. I know the gulf is notoriously flat and I plan to do more fishing and drinking than anything else. But, I’d love to catch a wave, I’m planning on bringing the soft top regardless but considering bringing another board or two.

Probably won’t need more then a soft top or LB. We have a small bump coming the next two days but supposed to drop after that. But believe it or not, in this area and a little east of where you’ll be, there is usually something worth playing on more frequently then expected.

My youngest has Jr Lifeguard camp this month. During the week I drop him off and then go swim before work. Since the storm two weeks ago, I have found a small but still fun wave to fuck around on with the LB 5 different days. Nothing worth posting on the Who’s been surfing threade, but better then no waves. Surf-forecast.com has been pretty accurate for this area. There are a couple spots out that way that seem to fair better a little better then others, but they aren’t secrets and it is summer.

Just remember, only one high and one low tide in the gulf.

Also, its been another good year for redfish. One of the cooks pulled in a 75# tarpon a couple days ago.

Thanks PanHandler, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’ll go to that site.

We’ll be surf fishing for the most part but if it’s flat we’ll be doing a little offshore canoeing all the way out to the second sandbar. I’d love to hook up with a tarpon and go for a ride.

Has the seaweed shown up yet?

June grass is gone. We haven’t had too much seaweed yet, usually shows up mid-late August.

Walton county Artificial Reef Association dropped a bunch of “reef” objects in ’15. I ‘ve been out to a couple and they are very active. At low you can walk out far enough to cast pretty close to a couple of them. There is a link to a reef location map on their site, would be a little west of you but not long of a drive

https://www.co.walton.fl.us/1211/Artificial-Reefs

Forgot to mention, a few of the reefs were dropped just outside second sandbar

If another system is sitting offshore it could get really good. Bring a real boart just in case.

It was flatter than flat but the fishing was awesome. There was a glass minnow migration going on and the ladyfish and spanish were destroying them. The ladyfish really put on a show. Catch and release as fast as possible. They were pulling, tail walking and launching themselves in the air. A manatee gave everyone on the beach a good scare and the rest a good laugh. The minnows left and fishing dropped off significantly. We took the canoe about a mile offshore and caught some king mackerels. Great trip and then came home and got some folly beach perfection on Sunday morning.

Post trip hangover is real.

It was flatter than flat but the fishing was awesome. There was a glass minnow migration going on and the ladyfish and spanish were destroying them. The ladyfish really put on a show. Catch and release as fast as possible. They were pulling, tail walking and launching themselves in the air. A manatee gave everyone on the beach a good scare and the rest a good laugh. The minnows left and fishing dropped off significantly. We took the canoe about a mile offshore and caught some king mackerels. Great trip and then came home and got some folly beach perfection on Sunday morning. Post trip hangover is real.

Sounds like a great trip!

It was flatter than flat but the fishing was awesome. There was a glass minnow migration going on and the ladyfish and spanish were destroying them. The ladyfish really put on a show. Catch and release as fast as possible. They were pulling, tail walking and launching themselves in the air. A manatee gave everyone on the beach a good scare and the rest a good laugh. The minnows left and fishing dropped off significantly. We took the canoe about a mile offshore and caught some king mackerels. Great trip and then came home and got some folly beach perfection on Sunday morning. Post trip hangover is real.

Sounds like a good time. Yeah, it went back to the flatness. We have a little something this weekend but odds are it will be small, which is really good to get the boys out of the house and onto some small waves. Not the same as when I get to surf, but still gives me some stoke.

Fishing been really good this summer. Next time you’re down, put a kayak into the bay. The past few weeks we’ve had big jacks, and a ton of bull reds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.