The bike tread

Home Forums Main Forum The bike tread

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  IBC 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author

IBC
    Grom

Hey y’all.

I propose a bike tread.

Bicycles that is.

Do you ride?

For sport, recreation, life choice / no car, etc

For me, the bike is my sole means of transport.

I’m fortunate to exist in a small town where bikes are accepted and common.

Beginning to get deeper into maintenance, keeping my 8 year old mountain bike happy.

I like Park Tool stuff so far.

IBC
    Grom

waves

Let’s see if this works…

Yankee
    Grom

Cervelo RS 3T road bike, 13 yrs old, luv it

Did a few modifications like the saddle & pedals & Mavic Elite rims

Do approx 80 miles/week when weather is clear & above 60 degrees

Fortunate to have extensive system of paved trails in my region, keeps me off the roads & away from the distracted cage drivers

Have done a century, so many trails here, can go all the way to the Blue Ridge & back in one day

IBC
    Grom

You’ve had that same bike for 13 years?

Sweet

I’ve slowly replaced my bike, piece by piece. I know… “But Paulie, you coulda bought a new bike by now with all them parts…”

What fun would THAT be?

I’m slowly gettin the right tools to do my own work.

Just replaced my rusted out front spokes with all stainless.

Fixin to do the rear spokes soon. Bit the bullet for a cassette tool and chain whip for that job.

The saddle is major. The type, placement, etc. My bony ass don’t last long on a wimpy seat.

Those bike trails sound awesome.

No cars doin a hundred, drivers on the phone, wouldn’t even know they hit me.

Yankee
    Grom

A couple years after I bought my Cervelo, I broke the frame in two places. No crazy maneuvers. Merely crossed over a sharp dip in pavement, I guess my weight & defective frame resulted in me walking 3 miles back home. Dealer filed warranty claim, impressively Cervelo came through with brand new frame replacement.

Good bike. I use clip-ins. That took some getting used to. Most memorable crash: at about 1 mile an hour. Witnessed by hundreds of turistas in Old Town Alexandria. I was new to clip-ins & couldn’t get my shoe disengaged in time at a stop sign. Even I laughed at my idiocy.

Agreed re: saddle being major. Took me about 4 different saddles before I found the right one for me. Have always been curious about those saddles with the cut off fronts. Supposed to improve circulation in one’s privates. I think the stat is that after only 10 mins on a racing saddle, you’re cutting off blood supply to Johnson.

All I replace now are chain, cables, tires, tubes as they wear out. Cassette every few years, too.

• Last modifed 1 month, 1 week ago

lancelot
    Local

fb_img_1576203628804_jpeg_8ac2b0778fbc7bb3abe7a6e0e8b58602_260f4892fc19f9711b324b7a1e029f2985d7e03e

IBC
    Grom

If Ida been drinkin somethin, Ida spewed on that one.

LMFAO Lance

43952047_2008745459182184_7565811554508079104_o

Custom GT Fury DH bike…It’s my baby

Chavez
    Grom

Fatboy

This is almost a replica of what I used to ride. Mine was a bit more raked out. For bikes, I have a beat up old Trek that I ride around Marsh Creek SP and French Creek SP in PA. I need ot get it overhauled tho. There’s place in Lancaster county called Shirks that does stuff like that for free. Ironic that I can wrench a chopper but my bicycle wrenching skills have fallen off since I was a yout.

IBC
    Grom

Custom GT Fury DH bike…It’s my baby

Nice

You might be the only dude here that uses mountain bikes for their intended purpose.

No mountains here in Galveston.

Just a good way to get around town on old bumpy streets.

Or playin tourist slalom on the Seawall.

IBC
    Grom

Fatboy This is almost a replica of what I used to ride. Mine was a bit more raked out. For bikes, I have a beat up old Trek that I ride around Marsh Creek SP and French Creek SP in PA. I need ot get it overhauled tho. There’s place in Lancaster county called Shirks that does stuff like that for free. Ironic that I can wrench a chopper but my bicycle wrenching skills have fallen off since I was a yout.

What’s a UTE?

LOL

I’ve only recently started doing more than just tires and tubes. Been slowly moving up to spokes, cables, etc. Now I’m slowly obtaining the specialized tools needed for more serious work. Hope to overhaul rear wheel next week. All stainless spokes and replace my slightly bent axle.

I ain’t gone as far as a bike stand, wheel truing rig, etc.

I’m almost retired and not really rolling in cash.

IBC
    Grom

The bicycle friendliness of my little island has led to the proliferation of a number of different bike styles.

The local lawn dude pullin a homemade trailer with their mower, shovels, rakes, and implements of destruction.

The ladies during Mardi Gras with their bead wearin chee wowa doggies in the front basket.

Others that somehow strap yard blower engines on em.

And many more.

IBC
    Grom

Worked in a factory years ago where us maintenance folks rode these with our tool box on the back.

mover-3

Cervelo RS 3T road bike, 13 yrs old, luv it Did a few modifications like the saddle & pedals & Mavic Elite rims Do approx 80 miles/week when weather is clear & above 60 degrees Fortunate to have extensive system of paved trails in my region, keeps me off the roads & away from the distracted cage drivers Have done a century, so many trails here, can go all the way to the Blue Ridge & back in one day

That’s the only thing I miss about D.C. are the Bike Trails, loved the C & O Canal ride down through Georgetown on the way to the Mall. Your side of the Potomac River from Key Bridge, Alexandria then to Mt. Vernon nice run too. We have nice trails here, usually average 15-20 miles around Rehoboth which is a small town, keeps me in shape.

IBC
    Grom

One of my favorite online education sites. Dude is a trip. Like a mad scientist for bikes

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Another place…

https://www.parktool.com/

IBC
    Grom

Each site has its strengths.

Sheldon can go into details you never dreamed of. Like disassembling an entire chain, every single link. Cleaning each piece, oiling each pin during reassembly. A little beyond my motivation level.

Park Tool has seriously professional how-to videos. Superimposed graphics, etc. Very easy to follow.

BarryCuda
    Grom

You guys mentioned “bike trails”?? We have bike trails up here…the one I use goes from my garage down the driveway and back to the garage…about 80ft long. In fact, every home on my street has the same thing.

And that is really “it” for New Hampshire. You see, the democrat government refuses to fund nice old tracks so that they are available to all riders. If you take the one train track on the seacoast, one needs to do so with a pistol strapped to your waist…..they are points of assaults. But hey….NH has funded bringing up illegals to fill the “section 8s”…then they wonder how come all the assaults. These politicians are all relocated maggots from Massholia who have come up here to escape taxes, then they vote more taxes in. They re drop dead stupid–they remind me of fungus.

Anyway, as for bike, I am still riding a 820 Trek….inexpensive, durable, heavy…I don’t like light bikes…not for me. However, given the snow presently and the surgeries I have had this summer, I am advised to refrain any bike riding or sitting on anything “rail-like” until Spring. But I will get back there. Along with surfing, it keeps me healthy…….oh, and my wife care for me is gigantic help as well. I got lucky with her–she was always a “keeper”.

IBC, use pinkbike for tools and stuff. Used but way cheaper.

kidrock
    Grom

Worked in a factory years ago where us maintenance folks rode these with our tool box on the back. mover-3

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.