What’s Your Next Surf Trip Going To Be?

Home Forums Main Forum What’s Your Next Surf Trip Going To Be?

This topic contains 75 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  DawnPatrol321 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Author

JayD
    Grom

https://www.ventanasestates.com/

i took as hard look at purchasing a lot here back in 16’. I actually took a horseback tour of the whole estate. Which really had me sold, until I started looking into it. The gated community seemed legit (as far as some of the issues Yank addresses). The main thing was I could not buy the lot and sit on it until I was ready to build. Since then I have decided there are too many places to see and it’s too easy to rent a nice place when and where you please…even if you go back multiple times or spend years somewhere, I would rent.

You can probably get a 2nd mortgage in the States easier than either of those options. You have to spend $200k to be a resident (not a citizen) in CR. Most folks buying in CR are paying cash or pulling from a LOC or taking a 2nd on their primary if the bank allows them to. Be certain to get a 100% reputable local lawyer. (yes, I get it, reputable lawyer = oxymoron.) The property titles in Central America are often vague, sometimes outright fraudulent, there’s a lot more scamming going on (of gringos) & it’s not like it is up here; you may have little recourse if you’re ripped off. Stories of squatters materializing out of nowhere & having to be paid off are common. Some of the lawyers are in on it. Get some legal beagle who has been referred to you by a gringo who has been there, done that. My 2 centavos is that you purchase where other expats already are. Or, in a gringo development. Makes you less of a target. As the other post noted from those folks paying protection money, etc. That picturesque place on acreage with all that privacy can turn pretty bad once the wrong people figure out what’s what. When I first started going to Nosara it was the wild west. Gringos would go to dinner, bad guys been watching, pull up to the house in a pickup & yank the bars & window right out of the frame with a cable. Rob the place blind & be gone in minutes. Cops do not care & are not around, ever. It got better & better the more gringos bought property there. Today, those break-ins are rare in Nosara. Still, all houses are built with secure rooms / vaults that are nicknamed ‘the bodega.’ As to the the rental revenue cash flow / tax advantages, yes, plenty of that. Not putting it into print – – happy to discuss someday as we take turns dropping in on The Albino 🙂

Yank you get out last weekend? I surfed my nut off at state for 5 hours then short session Sunday morning. Haven’t seen the albino lately.

Yankee
    Grom

I surfed that Thursday & Friday @ TPTSNBN. Lotta fun both daze. Thought about surfing Saturday, too, but had to get back.

I haven’t seen The Albino, either, thankfully, all this year in fact.

kidrock
    Grom

I hiked that Ventanas/Las Baulas area last year, pretty fucking sweet.

I thought about retiring to Cabo, but there’s just too many known and unknown factors that make living in foreign countries a bit more of a hassle…especially if you’re married lol. I’d be more inclined if I were single.

All 50 states, er, uh, except new jersey.

Wait, is cape may a surf trip?

Forget it, that’s not new jersey.

Chavez
    Grom

Looks like some fun waves this past week for the Boyz while I was in Cabo. Saw some pics of outer banks and up north…spreading the love. Cabo was pretty sweet. About what I expected out of a “vacation” with some surf sprinkled in. Surfed the rock and old mans beach during the week which was super convenient. Stomach to overhead all week. Wind came up late in the day so DP was the call. One day I came in from old mans sesh on a 9’2 and a photog introduced himself and said he got some shots…we will see how those turn out…hoping he was there early as the wind came up last hour or so of second sesh that morning. Rock is tricky with more power but on the bigger sets out at old mans, it was super fun. Zippers wasn’t really as good IMO…probably swell direction but I wasn’t impressed when I checked it. Staying in a resort is totally different from 90% of the surf trips I have been on. I gotta say, it was pretty dialed in (this is third time I’ve done an all inclusive deal). The food (and Don Julio Blanco) was really good, and great service. Live music 3 of the nights. The beach out front was just a solid powerful close out but was nice to watch it from the Lanai. Some overhead wedges just sucking up and shutting down. I could hear it every morning when I awoke. ‘sunsets and chill time’ with my lady was epic. I would definitely recommend it for this type of trip…I would go back for the combination of party/good food/beverages /vibe/and some decent surf! The water is very Blue there.

Yeah man, I just got back from Hatteras Village on Sunday. I was down there two weeks. Most days were knee/thigh high. There was a decent little sandbar that worked from low to mid incoming. A couple days were bigger. Two days were chest to head high. No upwelling. Great weather. The village has an old time feel. I could walk everywhere I needed to go. The only problem was my roof rack broke the night before we left. So I had to rent a (gasp) foamie. But the place I rented from (right across the street from the Red and White market) let me exchange boards as needed per the conditions. I used everything from 7 foot fun board to 6 foot fish to a groveler. I drank a lot.

Looks like some fun waves this past week for the Boyz while I was in Cabo. Saw some pics of outer banks and up north…spreading the love. Cabo was pretty sweet. About what I expected out of a “vacation” with some surf sprinkled in. Surfed the rock and old mans beach during the week which was super convenient. Stomach to overhead all week. Wind came up late in the day so DP was the call. One day I came in from old mans sesh on a 9’2 and a photog introduced himself and said he got some shots…we will see how those turn out…hoping he was there early as the wind came up last hour or so of second sesh that morning. Rock is tricky with more power but on the bigger sets out at old mans, it was super fun. Zippers wasn’t really as good IMO…probably swell direction but I wasn’t impressed when I checked it. Staying in a resort is totally different from 90% of the surf trips I have been on. I gotta say, it was pretty dialed in (this is third time I’ve done an all inclusive deal). The food (and Don Julio Blanco) was really good, and great service. Live music 3 of the nights. The beach out front was just a solid powerful close out but was nice to watch it from the Lanai. Some overhead wedges just sucking up and shutting down. I could hear it every morning when I awoke. ‘sunsets and chill time’ with my lady was epic. I would definitely recommend it for this type of trip…I would go back for the combination of party/good food/beverages /vibe/and some decent surf! The water is very Blue there.

Yeah man, I just got back from Hatteras Village on Sunday. I was down there two weeks. Most days were knee/thigh high. There was a decent little sandbar that worked from low to mid incoming. A couple days were bigger. Two days were chest to head high. No upwelling. Great weather. The village has an old time feel. I could walk everywhere I needed to go. The only problem was my roof rack broke the night before we left. So I had to rent a (gasp) foamie. But the place I rented from (right across the street from the Red and White market) let me exchange boards as needed per the conditions. I used everything from 7 foot fun board to 6 foot fish to a groveler. I drank a lot.

Two weeks sounds awesome, you must be super relaxed coming off a vacation like that.

Chavez
    Grom

Two weeks sounds awesome, you must be super relaxed coming off a vacation like that.

Yeah man, very relaxed. My jobs are already doing their very best to suck the relaxation out of me….

Yeah man, very relaxed. My jobs are already doing their very best to suck the relaxation out of me….

I always dread going back to work after vacation, back to reality I guess. I need to win the lottery or hit big on a scratch off so that reality is vacation.

JayD
    Grom

Glad you had a good vacay CyC!

Chavez
    Grom

Glad you had a good vacay CyC!

Thanks man.

Hatteras village. Two weeks. Paradise.

Once you pass nags head you have made a commitment, pass avon you separate yourself from the rest of the pack, but, pass buxton, then pass frisco, past frisco pier, down that lonely road once past the bathhouse

you are now way out there, far flung from anywhere, anything and anyone. It is so beautiful.

Waves every day, no lifeguard parking crowd traffic shit, warm clean water.

On an island some 30 miles out to sea. You can feel it.

Just the red&white. And sonny’s.

My first trip. 37 years ago.

Every time i go, now, i stay in buxton for more surfable consistent, but you got me thinking maybe i am missing the point of my 450 mile drive.

I should keep going all the way to the end.

Hatteras village is so far down, all the way down, everyone there has made a great decision to escape the world.

I find it very difficult to leave.

Hatteras village. Two weeks. Paradise. Once you pass nags head you have made a commitment, pass avon you separate yourself from the rest of the pack, but, pass buxton, then pass frisco, past frisco pier, down that lonely road once past the bathhouse you are now way out there, far flung from anywhere, anything and anyone. It is so beautiful. Waves every day, no lifeguard parking crowd traffic shit, warm clean water. On an island some 30 miles out to sea. You can feel it. Just the red&white. And sonny’s. My first trip. 37 years ago. Every time i go, now, i stay in buxton for more surfable consistent, but you got me thinking maybe i am missing the point of my 450 mile drive. I should keep going all the way to the end. Hatteras village is so far down, all the way down, everyone there has made a great decision to escape the world. I find it very difficult to leave.

Well said, it sure is a great place down there.

Chavez
    Grom

Hatteras village. Two weeks. Paradise. Once you pass nags head you have made a commitment, pass avon you separate yourself from the rest of the pack, but, pass buxton, then pass frisco, past frisco pier, down that lonely road once past the bathhouse you are now way out there, far flung from anywhere, anything and anyone. It is so beautiful. Waves every day, no lifeguard parking crowd traffic shit, warm clean water. On an island some 30 miles out to sea. You can feel it. Just the red&white. And sonny’s. My first trip. 37 years ago. Every time i go, now, i stay in buxton for more surfable consistent, but you got me thinking maybe i am missing the point of my 450 mile drive. I should keep going all the way to the end. Hatteras village is so far down, all the way down, everyone there has made a great decision to escape the world. I find it very difficult to leave.

Yeah man, I was feeling it. Well said.

Nicafiend
    Grom

So I leave for Chile next week. We’re going to be there for 10 days. It’s going to be half surf trip, half exploration trip. We’re going to spend quite a bit of time in the Atacama then surfing points between Iquique and Antofagasta. We’ve rented a 4×4 so hopefully nothing will be off limits. Has anyone here ever been and have some top secret info to share? 🙂

So I leave for Chile next week. We’re going to be there for 10 days. It’s going to be half surf trip, half exploration trip. We’re going to spend quite a bit of time in the Atacama then surfing points between Iquique and Antofagasta. We’ve rented a 4×4 so hopefully nothing will be off limits. Has anyone here ever been and have some top secret info to share? 🙂

That sounds really fun, take some good pics to share when you get back!

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.