When to Let Go

Home Forums Main Forum When to Let Go

This topic contains 13 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  BassMon 3 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

UnfurleD
    Grom

i’ve had a board that i’ve repaired about 5+ times now. it’s got glass cracks, bumps, and all kinds of southern fixins. there’s now a small gash/gap-hole under the board that’ll prolly be a $35 fix. this board i traveled up a couple hours to get cuz it’s a rare 80s brand/board with mega volume that you just don’t see around here or rather in the continental US for that matter – i like to stick out. I’ve told myself that if another thing happens to it, i’m just gonna do anything with it. i don’t like selling boards tho. riding waves yesterday evening, that board would’ve been great for what was being served. just wondering when it’s time to let go? if ya guys been in the same situation, please share and what your final outcome. i’m contemplating

Mitchell
    Grom

It sounds like a board that wont fetch any decent money. Is there a reason you don’t just fill the hole yourself?

Repairing a small little hole/gap on an old board is usually just a matter of a pouring in a tablespoon of resin and a piece of sandpaper to sand it flat after it hardens.

If you have some sort of attachment to it then fix it and ride it some more. If not patch it up so it’s water tight and sell it. I finally let go of a 6’10” WRV FunFish that I loved and rode the shit out of for years. I spent hours restoring the board and sold it to someone who needed a decent transition board going from a LB to SB, which is what I used it for years ago. I miss it a little but it wasn’t getting ridden by me anymore so it’s getting some love now, hopefully.

LBCrew
    Grom

Fix your own dings.

I usually hold onto boards as long as possible, then I take them to the beach and lean them up against the dumpster. Somebody always grabs it.

But.. fix your own dings.

I build my boards to last, so they don’t ding easily, and resist pressure dings a bit better than most. The thing that usually signals the end of a board for me is if it breaks, or if the stringer is so proud it hurts my sternum to paddle it. But if it’s just your typical rail dings or whatever, I just keep fixing them.

Otherwise… you guessed it: Fix your own dings.

No excuses.

• Last modifed 1 week ago

#FixYourOwnDings

Just ride the board until it’s not worth fixing (from a time or money perspective) and then give it to a local grom for free

Just ride the board until it’s not worth fixing (from a time or money perspective) ……….

This ……..

Sounds like my old Tim Nolte LB; pressure dings rolled up the deck like the Rocky Mountains, Delam could be measured by 12″ ruler and you could count all the dings on both hands and it was a true Dumpster diver. A strong candidate for Ugliest surfboard on Delmarva, what is more shocking, sold it on Craigs List for $150, proof if its cheap enough some body will buy it.

Fix it up, paint it, do crazy shit with it, but if it’s not getting loved anymore, fix the dings and give it to a kid and encourage THEM to do it up crazy and love it. Plus two on the grom suggestion👍👍

kidrock
    Grom

I usually ride a board until the wheels fall off. For me, that means until the board becomes so yellow and heavy that the foam doesn’t really have much “life” left. They become listless and sluggish.

Got a board shaped about 2 years that’s been my daily driver. But the board is the biggest shit magnet I’ve ever owned. I’ve had so much shit happen to this board. I’ve had to do more work on this board than I’ve done with my last 5 boards combined. Just completely retarded.

But I’ve done 90% of the work on my board, minus the resetting of a fin box that got pushed over when I got pitched at the top and did like 2 sweet El Rollo’s with it. That cost me $50 but it was a bro deal.

Everything’s water tight, straight and smooth. It’s still my favorite board even tho it’s jinxed. And I’ll continue to ride it ’til the wheels fall off.

And keep a couple of backups around just in case.

Chavez
    Grom

I have a board I’ve ridden consistently since 2004. If it gets a pressure ding or crack, I fix it. It’s never had any serious damage and it hasn’t gotten ‘water logged’ and it’s a WRV of all things.

BarryCuda
    Grom

I have a board I’ve ridden consistently since 2004. If it gets a pressure ding or crack, I fix it. It’s never had any serious damage and it hasn’t gotten ‘water logged’ and it’s a WRV of all things.

That board must be a magnet for Asian babes, or I see it as spent!! Confess!!!

That board must be a magnet for Asian babes, or I see it as spent!! Confess!!!

Barry, you need to update your profile with an Avatar / Profile pic aka Aviator. I know you don’t care much about such things but still, you should do it. 🙂

• Last modifed 5 days, 23 hours ago

Yankee
    Grom

I logged in here, thinking this treade was in reference to my evil ex.

BassMon
    Grom

I don’t sell boards either. Id fix it until it’s not worth your time anymore. Then at that point either keep it as a wall hanger if it has any sentimental value to you (i get attached to boards and have a few that i refuse to let go of but don’t ride either) or give it away. I don’t sell boards either.

I had a pretty special board. I told the story back in the SI days of the board itself. Anyway it just wasn’t getting ridden by me, had some damage but was never on my priority list to fix since i didn’t ride it much. I gave it to a friend. Told him if he fixes it up nice it’s his to keep if he liked it. I took the time to teach him how to fix it but let him do the work. He did a good job, knows how to take care of boards now, and he’s been riding the thing regularly ever since. It was nice knowing it didn’t go to some kook who would ruin it. It gets the love it deserves.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.