Where’s The Stoke?

Home Forums Main Forum Where’s The Stoke?

This topic contains 47 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  AkaPumpmaster 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Is it just me or does it seem like nobody is stoked on Surfing anymore?

Are people jaded?

Is surfing still cool and exciting to you all? Or am I the only one not feeling the stoke lately?

Do I just need a quality surf session to get the feeling back? What’s the deal y’all?

Are you stoked or are you waiting for something to be stoked about?

ive been surfing since 1980 and you go thru phases where you just don’t feel it. Comes back tho. Take a trip and change your surroundings.

LBCrew
    Grom

Totally stoked to have surfed two days in a row… In fact, yesterday I got more waves in an hour than I did all day on Sunday. And… there was nobody out!

Semi-bumpy/semi-glassy chest high sets. Good enough for a shortboard. Just me and a solitary loon in the lineup. Hoping for another LB session today!

ive been surfing since 1980 and you go thru phases where you just don’t feel it. Comes back tho. Take a trip and change your surroundings.

Yeah, I guess so, I had a great session not too long ago but that stoked feeling has come and gone. Taking a trip right now would be nice but it’s not in the cards at the moment with my wife about to give birth to our first and only child. So I’m stoked about that at least, but that’s not what this thread is about.

I think what I’m getting at is I have always fed off others to keep the pilot light of stoke burning at all times but I’m not finding too many people who are sharing their stoke, which led me to question if others are still stoked on surfing like they have been in the past or if they are laying low right now waiting for something to get stoked about again to reignite that fire too.

When we have people frothing and surfing their asses off it motivates me to do the same. So where is everybody?

Chavez
    Grom

I’ve only surfed once in the past two months due to hunting taking up all my free time and work. I’m chomping at the bit. I might play hooky and go tomorrow if anything is left. Moving further away from the ocean has made me all the more stoked to go when I can.

Totally stoked to have surfed two days in a row… In fact, yesterday I got more waves in an hour than I did all day on Sunday. And… there was nobody out! Semi-bumpy/semi-glassy chest high sets. Good enough for a shortboard. Just me and a solitary loon in the lineup. Hoping for another LB session today!

Now we’re talking, this is what I don’t think we see / hear enough of from people. LBCrew I’m glad you got some quality surf in, even if the makability was a F grade lol

oipaul
    Grom

I’ve not been feeling it. Haven’t had a quality sesh since Thanksgiving. Kind of feel like I’m going through the motions

I’ve only surfed once in the past two months due to hunting taking up all my free time and work. I’m chomping at the bit. I might play hooky and go tomorrow if anything is left. Moving further away from the ocean has made me all the more stoked to go when I can.

You bring up a good point. When I lived in the Tampa Bay Area 2hrs from the East Coast and 45 min – hour from the Gulf I was constantly hungry for surf, because I couldn’t do it as often as I would have liked.

Almost 5 years after moving to the East Coast I definitely find myself being more picky and selective and it takes more to get me stoked or motivated.

I remember SJB warning me that this would happen and I thought he was crazy, but he was right. The Ocean hasn’t been pulling at me as hard lately.

I know I’m not moving back though, I worked too hard to get here. I have to remind myself of that.

I suppose once my little girl is here my time will become more consumed by her and it will probably make me more hungry for surf because it won’t be quite as easy to get up and go then. Plus I can’t wait to introduce her to the Ocean and teach her about it and see her eyes light up. That will make me stoked for sure!

CWhite
    Grom

I suppose once my little girl is here my time will become more consumed by her and it will probably make me more hungry for surf because it won’t be quite as easy to get up and go then. Plus I can’t wait to introduce her to the Ocean and teach her about it and see her eyes light up. That will make me stoked for sure!

DP its funny you say about introducing her to the ocean. I just found some old photos at my mom’s and had completely forgot about this one of my middle daughter who is in her 2nd year @ Villanova. My kids when they were little always came running to me when they would see me get out of the water. I sure miss those days with them.

Charli OBX

DP its funny you say about introducing her to the ocean. I just found some old photos at my mom’s and had completely forgot about this one of my middle daughter who is in her 2nd year @ Villanova. My kids when they were little always came running to me when they would see me get out of the water. I sure miss those days with them. Charli OBX

Great photo man, thanks for sharing! I’m sure she misses those days too.

NotKyle
    Grom

Take a trip and change your surroundings.

this has always been my remedy when feeling light on the stoke

@oipaul sometimes I go through the motions, but at the same time, even that is better than going to the gym

other days I am outta my mind stoked

some really fun days for me are getting a 30 min bodysurf in 1.5 miles down from the house when by all accounts I should have had absolutely ZERO ocean time, but I can almost always find 40 minutes to get wet, even if its onshore shorepound.

other HIGHLY ENJOYABLE sessions are now me pushing my 4 year old in little waves, or riding tandem with her

she has devil horns, for sure lolSI1

SI2

All the stoked people are here clogging up the breaks. 20-30 on one peak. Makes it easy to lose the stoke.

find another sport. Im stoke AF on snowboarding right now but come April ill feel the pull of the ocean again.

NYNJ
    Grom

I’ve been out less this winter than any other winter over the last 20 years… The wife going back to work has taken a serious toll on my water time. Can’t wait for a couple more hours in the day.

Got a couple of snowboard trips coming up that I’m stoked for so there is hope

DP, I’ve felt the same way since last spring. I’ve had the sense that stoke has been harder to come by lately, and it’s harder to get. I think it has to do with a lot of peoples lives changing in little ways and in big ways, also with the fact that there were very few good swells this year in reality. Some people seem to score a ton, but by and large a lot of us seemed to be going longer and longer stretches between sessions, and the sessions we did have we’re only so-so. It seemed that those great days of glassy waves warm sunny weather and everything working right and Surfing good never seemed to click… At least in my personal case, as I went through some crazy midlife crisis/totally hating on myself/feeling like a failure/my daughter turning into a teenager and no longer craving that surfing stoke. That took a big chunk out of my Stoke tank for sure LOL. It was just a really weird year in short. And I think a lot of us felt it… And it’s funny, but I was really looking forward to fall and winter and spring surfing, and the cycle seems to be continuing… Any decent swell shows up mid week during work hours, so I miss it. And the weekend swells it to come around it look promising always end up sucking LOL. For me, I need that one or two day swell Mixed with great weather and my surfing not sucking, and I know I will fill my stock tank up pretty good. Maybe that will happen sometime between now and June, when it turns into Lake Atlantic again LOL

Yankee
    Grom

Reasonable query, senor. Life happens. Stoke. It ebbs & flows. Just my personal opinion.

Thank you, pneumonia, for thoroughly kicking my ass from xmas – mid-January but ultimately letting me survive.

Stoke? Da fukk. I was happy to be able to crawl up a flight of stairs, weak as a kitten, & sleep for 15 cough-wracked hours each day for several weeks.

Gave away my 5/4 w hood. Not feeling 42 degree water anymore.

And, it’s a fair question, why should I be feeling ice water winter waves, tbh?

Heading for Panama in 5 weeks. Need to regain strength until then. Then CR in March. FLA or tropics for April, May. Just being realistic, is all. I’ve worked hard in life. Tropics instead of ice water? Yes. Hell fucking yes.

• Last modifed 1 week ago

fl.surfdog
    Local

Its hard to have stoke if you work as much as I do. I hurt my knee over a month ago surfing, that’s kinda stopping me and don’t want to reinjure, although its getting better on the daily, it doesn’t take long to get stoke back.

smitty
    Grom

I became an empty nester this year. Was so stoked for all the free time to surf and fish. Won’t lie – it’s been rough. I miss my kid. Been in a funk. The tide will turn tho!

You all have seen Mitchell’s Pics, its been a wonderful winter trend and warner outside temps than past years but so reluctant to pull my old ass out of my 5/4 chest zip. I’m with Yankee on 44 degree water as so much warner sitting on the couch reading and laughing what you F*ckers are talking about today. so stoked being un-stoked …………….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.