Who here has been surfing this week?

Home Forums Main Forum Who here has been surfing this week?

This topic contains 746 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  Mitchell 7 hours, 27 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 747 total)
  • Author

Another fun weekend on the Gulf. Saturday was fairly clean and enough size to get a few areas on the sandbar going. Yesterday was a lot of fun, but a lot of wind too. The current was crazy though. But the waves in a few of the go-to spots had a fun entry and could catch the re-form to the inside. Then there were the occasional sets that kept it interesting and on the move. Unfortunately, October now brings fall break for a lot of schools for Tenn, Georgia, Kentucky, etc so the beaches are getting packed again on the weekend. Thankfully, the fire dept put up red flags because of the current and the lifeguards were keeping everyone close to shore and out of the inside break. Stoke tank topped up

Delmarva was a bit of a washing machine on Saturday, although the straight E winds actually allowed for some clean faces if you picked your wave. The run of swell we’ve been having kept the numbers low, which is always a plus.

Sunday dropped in size a little, but less of wind and still shoulder/head high on sets. Got the late end of the tide, so ended up becoming heavy shorebreak-y around hour 3. A blast when you make it out. Painful when you don’t (which is more often than not) – looked like a docile version of the QuikPro France ha.

Although they can be dicks at times, I enjoy surfing surrounded by people who rip – this usually happens this time of year. Personally helps me up my game a bit. I find myself taking more risks and charging a bit harder than if I’m solo or in kookville, not sure if others feel the same.

• Last modifed 3 months, 1 week ago

DA0F7E79-3074-4209-A752-7F8F1412228E

Looks like a potentially nice weekend after the winds drop off… but I’m getting ahead of myself

Wifey has become such a social butterfly with dinner plans with friends as missed Sunday evening session then you get those TXTS it was so fun, its all good. Todays DP, local break were just locals for a change, mostly waist with stomach sets for those patient enough to wait them out for long rights @ the jetty peak. No lefts for Goofy today, rights were long while south wind added unneeded texture hollowing the wall on the drop. Coastal storm later this week so hung out for 4 hours until the tide semi killed it to squeeze in long session as wifey has more dinner plans tonight.

Hit it on the incoming push yesterday near a crowded jetty. Cool crowd, but a crowd. Got blocked on a good steep one by a girl who was in the impact zone but that’s part of the experience. Saw some of my local homies from the next inlet south get some good waves. It was VAS down there so we all showed up here.

On a higher tide on a decent swell (5 foot plus) some energy will miss the outside shoal and stack up on the inside making for random peaks, both lefts and rights, with nice sections. It took me a half hour to get in the flow, had to switch out my ho made fish for a higher volume less rockered 6’6″ Pete Dooley NA round noser to get maximum wave count and connect sections. Got into a nice zone till the tide maxed out and it turned to mushburgers, or shore pound. Very fun session. Last one I connected a peak from mid break all the way through with lots of smooth turns after a nice backside hack. Some old dude saw it as he walked up and told me “Nice one!”. Life is goode.

UnfurleD
    Grom

lingering rain with chop kept the crowds from coming to la playa after work. then it cleaned up all nicely which i was predicting and the rain stopped. very small crowd on one street of the washout. the rest was the wild west. my buddy was electric bout it, couldn’t believe i was right and the spot was up for grabs. I didn’t capitalize on it as best as I could, but to say i didn’t have a good handful and enjoy the sunset would be a load of sht. Lotta times i found myself in the middle of close outs on both sides, and just taking the wipeouts. Gotta couple carves to the left on a few and the last one was 3 rides to shore. I’m hoping the wind will cease at the end of the day today, and keep my luck going. still not flexing a rashguard/wetsuit, but i know those days are whining down

Some fun waves coming in this morning! I paddled out at first light on my 6’4″ Flashback Fish and caught a bunch of chest – head high semi clean waves on the high outgoing tide. Some lefts, some rights. I was one of the first people in the water but it didn’t take long for a small crowd to form. I got mine though. Wish I could have stayed longer. I’m going to have to play hooky one of these days and do an all day surf. Haven’t done that in a while, so i’m due.

UnfurleD
    Grom

ran out back to washout after work with the same guy from yesterday. lil more textured, lil more drift. still bout stomach hi. got to get my rights in on the LB just bout on every wave. getting a lil chillier, will need to put on the rashguard on the next sess- likely after work today. these tropical swells off the coast are producing

LBCrew
    Grom

I haven’t surfed since October 2nd… but I took the day off and surfed all day. My shoulder has hurt ever since. Definitely over did it.

Looking forward to this weekend for this storm to clean up… it looks to be a pretty epic situation.

Chavez
    Grom

I haven’t surfed since October 2nd… but I took the day off and surfed all day. My shoulder has hurt ever since. Definitely over did it. Looking forward to this weekend for this storm to clean up… it looks to be a pretty epic situation.

Sunday looks like the clean up day down this end of the Garden State. Gonna try to get one more session in with Starfish before he heads back to the Island.

I haven’t surfed since October 2nd… but I took the day off and surfed all day. My shoulder has hurt ever since. Definitely over did it. Looking forward to this weekend for this storm to clean up… it looks to be a pretty epic situation.

Sunday looks like the clean up day down this end of the Garden State. Gonna try to get one more session in with Starfish before he heads back to the Island.

saturday looking messy but really big so Sunday will be the day… nice period and swell! Where’s Starfishy been lately? Seems a bit quiet in the forummes

C499FEA5-574F-4356-85F3-7CB28EEF09EAE9A14D83-BF86-45E3-B048-069542E63CA2

Nasty week, awesome weekend…. sometimes the long Ass flat spells are worth the wait for spring, fall and winter swells around here.

UnfurleD
    Grom

we’re on the end of our trop swell run in the Carolinas, during the week of course but the tide times have helped. Went out yesterday to what looked like nothin much of the cams. bout to go to Washout but noticed waves down the street were holding well on hi tide, a rarity. walked the LB down and flew on a bunch of in and outs. had a couple ppl credit the ones i got to ride out a while. of course wipeouts were mixed in. buddy rolled in 20 or so minutes after and we got to get close to the pier and both prolly made the better decision to not shoot the pier. i was flying down a wave on my left, practically on one knee, and pulled up cuz i didn’t see an opening and the wave was crashing right at the pier if i tried. puss i know. these evening sessions has kept me sane and happy, needed that one yesterday after a hospital bill came up for $800. sht don’t end, trying to be positive

NY looks like a wave pool today. Who scored??

BarryCuda
    Grom

Victory at Sea here today. Just as well, I am precluded from going out for a few days anyhow……

Mitchell
    Grom

Winds let up a lot this afternoon, and some spots on Delmarva started lining up.

October-10-2019h

October-10-2019e

October-10-2019a

• Last modifed 3 months, 1 week ago

NYNJ
    Grom

Is Bassmon on here? Or any of the NY fellas?

I wasn’t able to get to NY yesterday but every pic I’ve seen is nuts. Everyone I spoke to said it was filthy barrels all day and it’s still firing.

Is Bassmon on here? Or any of the NY fellas? I wasn’t able to get to NY yesterday but every pic I’ve seen is nuts. Everyone I spoke to said it was filthy barrels all day and it’s still firing.

Bassmon has been on here but he hasn’t been around for a little while. See if you can get him on here and post those pics, I would love to see them!

Short version: quick hit and run pre-work session at a wind-protected longbort spot in Southern New England. Long peeling chest to head high lefts. Only had time for a couple, but had a blast.

Long version: woke up at 4 am, drove for 1:40 to a different spot that had potential to be epic. Size was there (had to be DOH on sets though hard to tell from hundreds of yards away with no one riding them) and wind was mostly offshore, but it was howling. I’d guess 30+ mph sustained. Watched it for well over an hour, debating, trying to get motivated. One guy paddled out shortly after first light, but in the hour or so I watched him (first 20 min of which was the paddle out), he only caught one wave and it closed out pretty quick after the drop. By the time I left only 1 or 2 more had joined him… most everyone else just watching and waiting. Had written the trip off as a failure and pre-work surf window was essentially gone, but checked one more spot on the advice of a friend who used to live in the area and definitely scored. Looking at cams there are more takers at my original spot now, but gotta imagine the work to wave ratio is ridiculous. Looked very, very challenging with the wind. Had I not been solo, or had there been more people out getting rides, or had I had several hours free to wait for a better window I might’ve given it a try, but happy with my decision. Now most likely waiting till Sunday for the cleanup closer to home.

It ‘twas a bit like a washing machine yesterday and today, but the certain chunk of sandbar is really making some fun waves. The artificial reefs they dropped seem to be helping hold everything in place for now. Lots of fun drops into easy rollers and then reform all the way in.

Also, 4 weeks and 1 day until NZ, not counting the days or anything

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 747 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.